Staff Reporter

BANGALORE: The State Government on Wednesday told the Karnataka High Court that the activities of the Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT) and its presence in Karnataka came to its notice when the police were investigating the terrorist attack on the campus of the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, in which a scientist from Delhi was killed and at least four persons were injured.

State Public Prosecutor S. Dore Raju made this submission while opposing the bail application by two alleged members of the banned extremist organisation, LeT, seeking their release on bail.

The petitioner, Noor alias Noorullah, and another person, contended that they were innocent and not involved in any subversive activities. They alleged that they were "framed" by the authorities.

Opposing the bail petitions, the State said the petitioners and several other LeT activists had not only planned to bomb Bangalore and target buildings such as the Vidhana Soudha but also multinational companies, major bridges and water sources, dams and religious places of worship.

It said the petitioners were arrested under the Explosives Act, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act of 1967 and were arrayed as accused no 4 and 5 in a case registered in the Sadashavinagar police station and that there was a prima facie case against them to show that they were members of the LeT.

The State, along with its statement of objections, annexed a report on the LeT activities and other documents.


The report placed before the court revealed the existence of LeT cadres in the State and plots by it to divide the people and the nation.

It said the plan to destabilise India and Bangalore in particular was hatched in a masjid in Saudi Arabia and it was in that country that it had set into motion its plan for a Jehad against India and decided to recruit people for this cause.

The SPP said if released on bail, the accused would abscond and it would be difficult for the police to bring them back. He said both the accused were trained in Pakistan and Bangladesh.

The court directed the SPP to place any additional documents on the issue and adjourned further hearing on the case.