Bangalore: Cluny Convent High School, Jalahalli, has completed 50 years. With its motto "Pray and Work," the institution was started by the Cluny Sisters in 1956.
Here is a bit of Cluny history: The sisters travelled from Malleswaram to Jalahalli by whatever transport was available, but very often they walked. HMT provided a small building where classes were conducted. Soon afterwards, the classes moved to a spacious building at BEL in 1957.
The optimistic approach of the sisters soon made the school very popular, and in 1973, the management was compelled to build their own school.
The school's mission is based on founder Anne Marie's vision of a meaningful education. She believed that education should help a person "to be more" rather than in helping him/her "to have more." The founder was born in a village in Burgundy, France. In 1807, Mother Anne Marie started the first novitiate at Cluny in France, and thus the title "Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny."
The school's first seventh standard batch appeared for the public examination in 1979-80, and secured cent per cent results. The high school was started in 1985-86.