Man killed in quarry explosion

print   ·   T  T  
Inconsolable: Vasantha, wife of Nagaraju who was killed in a quarry blast, with their children in front of Mission Hospital in Mysore on Thursday.
Inconsolable: Vasantha, wife of Nagaraju who was killed in a quarry blast, with their children in front of Mission Hospital in Mysore on Thursday.

Staff Correspondent

This is the second such incident in the State in recent times

MYSORE: One person was killed in a blast at Hangarahalli quarry in Arakere police station limits of Mandya district on Wednesday night.

The victim has been identified as Nagaraju (26).

It may be recalled that six labourers died at Kottalavadi quarry blast in Chamarajanagar district recently.

The next of kin of those who died in the Kottalavadi quarry blast have not received compensation, despite an assurance by Minister for Home M.P. Prakash on the floor of the Legislative Assembly.

According to reports, Nagaraju of Kenchalagudu village in Mandya district was seriously injured when an explosive went off at Hangarahalli quarry.

According to Nagaraju’s brother, Ravi, an eyewitness to the incident, quarry owner Hanumanthu brought him on a motorcycle to JSS Hospital, Mysore.

The hospital authorities expressed their inability to treat Nagaraju because of the lack of facility to treat such cases and asked them to take him to Mission Hospital. Within five minutes of reaching Mission Hospital, Nagaraju died.

It is alleged that the quarry owner tried to show it as a case of accident.

Case registered

It was only after leaders of Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha (KRRS) intervened that the police registered a case against the quarry owner under the Explosives Act.

However, no arrests have been made so far. According to KRRS leaders, the quarry owner has agreed to pay Rs. 6 lakh to Nagaraju’s dependents.

District KRRS leader, Badagalapura Nagendra, said they staged a dharna in front of the Mission Hospital urging the police to register a case against the quarry owner.

Finally, with the intervention of the police authorities, the quarry owner, who admitted to the lapse, agreed to pay compensation, it is said.

Mandya Superintendent of Police, Seemanth Kumar Singh, told The Hindu that Nagaraju died in a quarry blast at Hangarahalli in Arakere police station limits.

The case was not reported to the police initially and the owner tried to convince them that Nagaraju was injured in a road accident.

However, on learning about the truth, the police registered a case under the Explosives Act, he said and added that the accused would be arrested shortly.

Nagaraju leaves behind wife and two children — Manja (5) and Jayamma (2).

His wife, Vasantha, who was inconsolable, said Nagaraju went to the quarry on Wednesday even though he had fever as the quarry owner had asked him to return Rs. 5,000, which had been taken as “advance.”

He did not have the money, but despite that he went to work. Ravi said that his brother told the quarry owner Hanumanthu that he would work even though he had fever. Ravi accused Hanumanthu of forcing Nagaraju to conduct blasts.




Recent Article in KARNATAKA

IGP has hand in IPL betting too

The Inspector General of Police (IGP) rank officer serving in Bengaluru who has come under the scanner for alleged links with the kingpin... »