Many organisations have been demanding a retrial of the case
Seven Dalits were burnt alive in the incident All the accused in the case were acquitted some time ago
BELLARY: M.P. Prakash, Minister for Home, Law and Parliamentary Affairs, has said the Government will file a review petition in the Kambalapalli incident in Kolar district, where seven Dalits were burnt alive.
Responding to questions by presspersons here on Thursday, he said Thimmarayappa, an advocate, had been appointed by the Government in the case.
He indicated that the review petition was likely to be filed soon.
Various Dalit, pro-Dalit and Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI-M) have been demanding a retrial.
All the accused in the case were acquitted some time ago.
On providing security to Gangalappa, one of the witnesses in the case, Mr. Prakash said he had instructed the police to give protection to him and also to other families who were living in fear in the village.
When his attention was drawn to the tense situation in Hulikunte village of Kudligi taluk in Bellary district even seven months after two Dalit youths were killed, Mr. Prakash said steps had been initiated to give protection to the people.
He said the main accused, Seetaram Gowda, was absconding and efforts were on to arrest him.
It had been decided to set up police stations to tackle cyber crime in districts, including Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli and Bellary.
There is already one such station in Bangalore. Mr. Prakash stressed the need for allocating more funds for improving the Vijayanagar canals and other canals of the Tungabhadra reservoir as was done with regard to canals of the Bhadra reservoir.
"Being a old project, more funds needs to be allocated for modernisation of canals on both sides of the reservoir," he said, adding that he would talk to K.S. Eshwarappa, Minister for Water Resources, in this regard.
On construction of balancing reservoirs at suitable places in the Tungabhadra command area, Mr. Prakash said the proposals, with feasibility reports and other details, were ready.
They had to be discussed in the Cabinet and a decision had to be taken.
"I am keen to get the proposal placed before the Cabinet and get its approval as it would benefit the farmers. I will make efforts to get approval for the balancing reservoirs for utilising an additional 1 to 1.5 tmcft of water," he said.
Mr. Prakash did not wish to react to the reported statement made by C. Chennigappa, Minister for Forests, that two of his Cabinet colleagues should quit.
The Home Minister said he was not aware in what context the Minister for Forests made the statement.
"The Chief Minister has already reacted in this regard. I will talk to Mr. Chennigappa to ascertain the details," he said.
Mr. Prakash defended the action of his party in fielding a candidate in the Ullal Assembly byelection, saying it was not the first time that it was contesting the elections against its coalition partner. It had fielded a candidate when Congress-Janata Dal (S) Government was there, he said.