Murder solved after two years

print   ·   T  T  
Never too late: The spot where the body was buried in N.S. Palya in Bangalore on Tuesday.
Never too late: The spot where the body was buried in N.S. Palya in Bangalore on Tuesday.

Staff Reporter

The body of social worker Ganesh, who died two years ago, was exhumed

BANGALORE: Fourteen years after Begum Shakereh Namazi Khaleeli’s body was exhumed to unravel the murder plot, the Bangalore police conducted a similar exercise on Tuesday to uncover the murder of a 30-year-old social worker who went missing nearly two years ago. Ganesh, a social worker, had been strangulated allegedly by his friend and three accomplices, and buried near N.S. Palya.

The J.P. Nagar police, who stumbled upon this information during an interrogation of the two accused in another case, found remains of Ganesh’s body inside the hut where his friend Selvi and her husband Ramaswamy were staying in N.S. Palya. He was allegedly strangulated and buried by Selvi, Ramaswamy and two accomplices, Dandapani and Shekar. All the four were arrested on Tuesday.

“Ganesh, a resident of N.S. Palya, had an illicit relationship with Selvi and had even taken a loan from her. He had also been harassing Selvi to arrange his marriage with her younger sister,” the Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) S. Ravi told The Hindu. Unable to bear his wife’s harassment, Ramaswamy hatched a plan to eliminate Ganesh. He invited him home for dinner in December 2006. “We are yet to ascertain the exact date of murder,” police sources said.

Ramaswamy also called Dandapani and Shekar, and with their help the couple allegedly strangulated Ganesh and buried him sin the hut. “Selvi and Ramaswamy later vacated the hut and moved to another place close by,” Mr. Ravi said.

Meanwhile, Ganesh’s parents had filed a missing complaint with the Mico Layout police.

The murder plot came to light during the questioning of Dandapani and Shekar, who were caught for another crime.

The two revealed the plot to murder Ganesh, and J.P. Nagar police inspector S.K. Umesh then approached the jurisdictional court to seek permission to exhume the body.

After nearly three hours, the police found the body, which has been sent to forensic examination.




Recent Article in KARNATAKA

This is the second case being handed over to the CBI by the Siddaramaiah government in a span of two months. — Photo: V. Sreenivasa Murthy.

Lottery scam: Karnataka hands over case to CBI

In an effort to pre-empt another full-fledged confrontation with the Opposition parties, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday... »