Staff Reporter

Madikeri: The District Stadium Committee has passed a resolution to request the Government to allow it utilise the Rs. 1-crore grant to develop the district stadium here, and not divert part of it to give a facelift to the indoor stadium at the sports school in Kudige, Somwarpet taluk.

Deputy Commissioner Subodh Yadav, who is chairman of the District Stadium Committee, told The Hindu on Monday that a resolution to this effect was passed at a stadium committee meeting here recently.

The Commissioner of Youth Services and Sports had written to the Government to enable it to utilise 60 per cent of the funds to revamp the district stadium and divert the remaining 40 per cent to do up the Kudige Sports School.

Members of the Committee had opposed the move to divert the funds at the meeting.

The Deputy Commissioner had submitted a Rs. 4.4-crore proposal to the Government recently to develop the district stadium, and the Government decided to release the Rs. 1-crore fund, members had stated unanimously.

Mr. Yadav said that work on the spectators' gallery, sodium lamps, borewell, and drainage would be taken up first.

More In: KARNATAKA | NATIONAL