Students complain of stomach pain, nausea after dinner at hostel mess Hostel said to be lacking in basic amenities
GULBARGA: Ten inmates of the Babu Jagjivan Ram Government Post Matric Boys Hostel for the Scheduled Castes in Gulbarga were admitted to the Khaja Banda Nawaz Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital for suspected food poisoning on Friday.
Some of them who complained of pain in the stomach and nausea immediately after their dinner in the hostel mess on Thursday night were shifted to the hospital last night and the remaining were admitted this morning.
The students who were given stomach wash in the hospital and put on observation are reportedly out of danger.
The Gulbarga Zilla Panchayat vice-president Sridhar Ratnagiri who visited the hospital promised the students that action would be taken against the hostel authorities.
The students, who complained about the lack of basic amenities in the hostel to Mr. Ratnagiri, said the quality of food provided to them was very bad and the drinking water contaminated.
A survey conducted by the Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishat of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribe and Backward Classes and Minorities hostels in the State, pointed out that facilities in post and pre-matric hostels in the State, particularly in Gulbarga was very poor.
The students of the Babu Jagjivan Ram Government Post Matric Boys Hostel complained that toilets and bathrooms in the hostel got repeatedly clogged, forcing them to use open spaces outside the hostel premises.