In a gruesome incident, a 35-year-old woman died while her daughter is battling for life after the duo consumed a soft drink in their house in Rajupeta area of Machilipatnam on Friday afternoon.

Sheik Munny and her 13-year-old daughter Chandini consumed the cool drink at about 1.30 p.m.

Machilipatnam Rural Circle Inspector of Police and Investigation Officer A. Pallapu Raju said that the husband of the deceased, Khadhar Valli, had gone along with his son to the mosque for Friday prayers when the incident took place.

The police could not find any poisonous material in the house. They have sent the half-finished cool drink, bottled in the month of May, for forensic testing. Based on Chandini’s statement, the police said that Munny had first taken the beverage and later offered it to her daughter.