Seventy five-year-old Gowrisetty Mahankalamma was charred to death in a fire mishap at Mulaparru village in the district on Friday night.

According to fire officer M. Adinarayana, the victim Mahankalamma, wife of late Krishna Murthy, was living alone and fell sick a few days ago.

On Friday night, the hut in which she was staying caught fire with flames from a kerosene lamp.

As she was sick, the old woman could not get up from the bed. The villagers and the fire personnel tried in vain to save her, said the locals.