The Secunderabad Cantonment Board (SCB) has decided against demolishing unauthorised structures until Building Regularisation Scheme (BRS) was approved by higher authorities.

A resolution to this effect was passed during a special board meeting held here on Wednesday.

Applications for regularisation could be considered under Section 248 of the Cantonment Act, in which a reasonable penalty could be collected and the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief could give the final approval, said Malkajgiri MP Sarvey Satyanarayana at the meeting.

Mr. Satyanarayana, who was the special invitee to the Board meeting, appealed to the building owners to apply for regularisation.

Stay orders

The Board special meeting was convened to discuss and take approval for demolition of unauthorised constructions, including those exposed during the recent CBI raids. However, the Board could not discuss the cases pertaining to the CBI raids as the building owners obtained stay orders from the court.

The authorities had identified 1,289 unauthorised structures that were constructed since 2005 in the cantonment limits, said SCB Chief Executive Officer C. Ravindra. There were arguments between the officials and the elected representatives at the board meeting, with the officials insisting on initiating action and the other side opposing it saying that would not serve any purpose. The Board had already appealed to higher authorities to approve BRS as it would aid in generating revenue, which would be used for taking up different developmental activities.

Legal opinion

“However, all unauthorised constructions being taken up from Wednesday should be stopped and serious action should be taken up against such building owners. All the elected ward members will assist officers in this move,” said Mr. Satyanarayana.

He also urged the Board authorities to seek legal opinion on the cases registered by CBI authorities on Cantonment engineers and other members.

There was dearth of manpower in the Cantonment and employees were already reeling under heavy workload, he informed.

Defence roads

Mr. Satyanarayana also promised to take up the issue of closure of roads passing through defence areas for civilians leading to lot of inconvenience.

Citing security reasons, defence authorities restricted entry for public to travel on the Ayyappa Swamy Temple-Balaji Nagar road in Bolarum, Lal Bazar Post office road in Trimulghery and other roads since the last few weeks. Due to these curbs, residents were facing lot of problems.


  • Authorities identify 1,289 unauthorised structures constructed since 2005
  • Board appeals to higher authorities to approve BRS as it would generate revenue