SEARCH

States asked to implement health insurance scheme for poor

Special Correspondent
print   ·   T  T  
Engrossed:Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy and Union Minister Mallikarjun Kharge at the foundation stone laying programme of the ESIC Dental College in Hyderabad on Friday .–Photo: G. Krishnaswamy
Engrossed:Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy and Union Minister Mallikarjun Kharge at the foundation stone laying programme of the ESIC Dental College in Hyderabad on Friday .–Photo: G. Krishnaswamy

Union Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge has appealed to all Chief Ministers to take more interest in implementing Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana under which BPL families would get Rs.30,000 worth medical treatment each year.

Addressing a press meet after laying the foundation stone for Rs.218-crore Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) Dental College and inaugurating ESIC Regional Office's new building complex here on Friday, he said that 22 States had already implemented the scheme, while Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka have promised to enforce it from this year.

While 75 per cent of the cost was borne by the Centre, the remaining 25 per cent would have to be contributed by the respective State governments. Two smart cards would be given to each BPL family—one for the head of the family and another for the rest of the family members. The cards could be carried anywhere and the medical facility could be availed of in any of the States.

Replying to a question about revising the interest rate on Provident Fund deposits for 2012, he said the PF trustees would be meeting this month or in June to decide on various issues, including interest rate, investment plans and appointment of fund managers.

He said his ministry had substantially increased the honorarium under National Child Labour Project for instructors , clerk-cum-accountants , helpers project directors and field officers

Earlier, he said the dental college, coming up at ESI Model Hospital complex, would have 50 seats. He said that besides the Rs.448-crore ESIC super-specialty hospital at Sanathnagar here, a modern diagnostic centre would be started at Jeedimetla with an investment of Rs.41 crore. The renovation of the ESI hospital at Tirupati was being undertaken at a cost of Rs.116 crore and would be competed by 2012. Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy said that Andhra Pradesh was getting about Rs.1,480 crore of the Rs.9,000 crore earmarked for development works and benefits nationwide under various welfare schemes of the Union Labour Ministry. He assured that the State government would extend all cooperation in implementing the schemes of the Ministry for 10 lakh workers and their 40 lakh family members.


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in ANDHRA PRADESH

Lightning kills four

Fourfarmerswere reportedly killed when lightning struck them at Pindrangi village in K. Kotapadu mandal on Friday. Singampalli Appal Rao... »