Comparing recent statistics related to production, consumption and distribution of power in three regions of Andhra Pradesh, former SVU Vice-Chancellor P. Jayarama Reddy said that Telangana stands out as a major player in issues related to electricity.

Speaking at an intellectual meet on ‘AP State Division: Demand and Challenges’ held at Sri Venkateswara University’s Senate Hall on Saturday, Mr. Reddy said that Telangana occupies the first place in all the three aspects -- production, distribution and consumption.

“This is because a substantive number of power projects have been established in the region, which in turn can be attributed to the abundant availability of natural resources like coal.”

K. Rami Reddy, a retired bureaucrat, highlighted water issues that would crop up if the State was bifurcated. Since Telangana is in the upper riparian region, he predicted water wars in the days to come. “They can raise the height of the dams or use lift irrigation to serve their purpose,” he added.

“Future generation will have a lot to lose in terms of education if the State is bifurcated as majority of the institutes are in Hyderabad,” said P.V. Arunachalam, former Vice-Chancellor of Dravidian University.

Economist M.L. Kantha Rao said that about 60 percent of the State’s income came from Hyderabad. “If that entire income is spent on 10 districts on Telangana, what would happen to remaining 13 districts of Seemandhra with 40 percent of State’s income?”.