Six makeshift sheds were gutted after a fire broke out in Bowenpally Vegetable Market on Thursday morning. Luckily, no one was injured.

Though the fire department said that reasons behind the mishap were yet to be ascertained, senior officials suspect either electrical short-circuit or a carelessly thrown cigarette butt. Vendors, who came to purchase vegetables, noticed dense flames and called the fire control room around 6.10 a.m. A fire tender from Secunderabad rushed to the spot and flames were doused.

Assistant District Fire Officer (North) Y. Prabhakar Reddy said efforts were on to know the exact loss of property. “With the help of the police, we will try to find out the cause of the fire. We will also advise the market committee members to take up fire safety measures,” he added.