He allegedly tried to project his friend's murder as his

Amanjuri Satyanarayana Murthy, a 36-year-old railway gangman, who was arrested by the Satyanarayanapuram police on charge of murder, attempted suicide on the police station premises on Saturday evening. His condition was stable and safe at the Government General Hospital.

The murder accused went to toilet and used a blade to inflict injuries on his neck. While he was bleeding, the police rushed him to the hospital where first aid was given to him. The doctors said that his condition stable and he was safe.

Earlier in the day city police had arrested him for allegedly killing his friend and then disfiguring the body by burning it in order to show the death as his own with a view to helping his wife secure a job in the Railways.

The gangman, a resident of STPM Quarters, allegedly killed T. Lakshminarasimha Murthy, 35, when the latter was in an inebriated condition on March 26. He burnt the body and dumped it in his own house only to make it look like his own (gangman's) death.

But his plan backfired after the police took a serious note of his mother's report that the body was not that of her son as it had six fingers on right hand, while her son had only five fingers.

The post-mortem report also indicated that there were three knife injuries in the neck. What was initially registered as a suspicious death was later converted into a murder for gain case the Satyanarayanapuram, police said at a press conference.

Circle Inspector of Police G. Ramakrishna said that the clue led the needle of suspicion towards Satyanarayana Murthy as he disappeared soon after the incident took place. “The accused has many vices and is into debts. His wife deserted him three months ago and has not been attending duty for over 11 months,” the CI said. The accused also admitted to having killed his friend, he added.

Satyanarayana Murthy and his friend were alcoholics. Narasimha Murthy worked as a DTP operator at a private shop in Gandhinagar and was unmarried.

The police said that Satyanarayana Murthy had offered liquor to his friend and had later taken him to his residence only to carry out his plan.

After the incident, the accused went to Nizamabad and later to Hyderabad to look for a job. On failing to secure a job he returned to the city, only to get arrested.

  • Post-mortem report indicates that there are three knife injuries in neck
  • The suspect was held on return to city, after failing in his job search