He was one of the founders of The Hindu
‘The Hindu Square' where Nyapati Subba Rao Pantulu's statue was erected on May 31, 2010, by Editor-in-Chief N. Ram, is going to have another plaque in Telugu, highlighting the history of the freedom fighter, journalist and literary personality who was one of the founders of The Hindu . The plaque will be inaugurated by Municipal Commissioner M. Jitendra on Saturday, the 156th birth anniversary of Subba Rao Pantulu.
Subba Rao Pantulu was born in Nellore on January 14, 1856, and later moved to Rajahmundry. Inspired by Swami Vivekananda's speeches, he started the Hindu Samajam in 1903 for the propagation of the Bhagavad Gita and Sanatana Dharma. He started the Historical Research Society (which is now the Rallabandi Subbarao Museum). He was one of the founders of the Damerla Art Gallery. He introduced the father of Harikatha, Adibhatla Narayana Dasu, to the Circar districts. He used to tell his friends that carving out a separate Andhra from the Madras Presidency would be no easy task.
Subba Rao Pantulu was the first Chairman of the Rajahmundry Municipality and was credited with giving tap connections to the public for the first time. He founded the Rajahmundry Bar Association along with nine others in 1895, and the Town Hall Trust.
He was a Member of the Madras Imperial Legislative Council. Though he had ideological differences with Kandukuri Veeresalingam, he was made the first secretary of the Hitakarini Samajam founded by the great social reformer. While working in the Indian National Congress from 1914 to 1917, Pantulu presided over the first Andhra Mahasabha meeting held at Vijayawada on April 11, 1914. There he voiced the demand for the separation of Andhra from the Madras Presidency. At the AICC meeting in Lucknow in 1916, he raised his voice for the creation of a separate Congress Circle for Andhra.