Special Correspondent

GUNTUR: Minister for Endowments and Bapatla MLA Gade Venkata Reddy said on Thursday that a comprehensive plan was being prepared to develop the Kondaveedu Fort as a major tourist spot in Guntur district.

He told newsmen that district Collector was asked to prepare a plan to develop Reddy kings’ fort on the hill taking into account all aspects so that it could be discussed at a meeting of the District Tourism Development Committee on July 22.

A ghat road was sanctioned for the fort from Puttakota and Rs. 5 crores granted for the purpose. The ghat road alignment and survey work was taken up, but it got delayed. Also, an approach road was sanctioned for the purpose, which was not taken up by the Panchayat Raj Department. The Minister said that he had raised the issue in the Assembly and some funds could be brought from Tourism Department.

A five-member delegation of Kondaveedu Development Committee headed by K. Siva Reddy met the Minister here. The delegation was assured of all help to complete the works. All department heads would attend the meeting on July 22 to finalise the plan.

Teachers’ MLC K.S. Lakshman Rao had been taking an active role in getting governmental help to improve the facilities at Kondaveedu. He welcomed the decision of the Minister to bring funds from Tourism Department, but wanted the issue to be taken seriously so that works were implemented immediately.