A mother rescued her two young children from her burning house at Araku Valley late on Saturday afternoon, according to reports reaching here.

Fire broke out due to short circuit at the house of a teacher N. Subhakara Rao, opposite the Padmapuram convent, when his two young sons were sleeping inside. His wife Anji, who was working outside the house, rushed inside braving the flames and brought her children outside. She suffered minor burns.

However, currency worth Rs. 1.5 lakh and gold ornaments weighing five tolas were lost in the fire.

The loss was estimated to be around Rs. 5 lakh.