A minor fire broke out in the ancient kitchen (Potu) located inside the temple of Goddess Padmavathi at Tiruchanoor on Monday.
The mishap occurred when the temple cooks, who were preparing prasadams for ‘neivedyam' to be offered to the Goddess, reportedly tried to increase the flame in the gas-operated giant ovens, which is a normal practice in the kitchen. The fire leaping out of the ovens soon spread around to the greasy interiors of the kitchen and the walls.
With the fire and thick columns of smoke engulfing the kitchen, it created panic among the pilgrims and gave some anxious moments to temple officials.
The fire was, however, brought under control soon with fire tenders reaching the spot following alerts sounded by officials.
Though there were no injuries or any major damage to the granite kitchen, groceries and other items stacked inside it and in the store room were said to have been damaged in the fire and in the subsequent fire fighting operation.