A minor fire that broke out in Shanti theatre in Gandhi Nagar created panic among the viewers on Thursday.

The projector operator noticed a flash and sparks emanating from the false ceiling of the theatre around 11.30 a.m., when Telugu film ‘Yamudu' was being screened. Soon fumes began spreading in the hall. He immediately switched off the projector, and alerted the management, which, in turn, informed the fire service personnel. The viewers were quickly sent out of the theatre.

The fire service personnel initially found it difficult to extinguish the fire, but later pumped the water from the projector room to bring the fire and smoke under control.