SEARCH

Major fire in tyres godown

print   ·   T  T  
Colossal loss: Workers try to salvage stock on Saturday morning after a major fire broke out in the godown of Birla tyres on Gurunanak Nagar Road in Vijayawada on Friday night. —
Colossal loss: Workers try to salvage stock on Saturday morning after a major fire broke out in the godown of Birla tyres on Gurunanak Nagar Road in Vijayawada on Friday night. —

Staff Reporter

The reason for the fire is yet to be established

Fire put out by 70 personnel in 12 hours

New stock arrived on Friday ready for dispatch

VIJAYAWADA: It took about 12 hours for 70 firemen to completely put out the fire that broke out in the stock point of Birla Tyres company in Plot No. 118 of Teachers Colony on Gurunanak Road on Friday night.

Besides rescuing three lives, the firemen were able to save about 20 per cent of the total stock from the office-cum-godown of the Kolkata-based tyres company. As many as 12 fire tenders worked continuously from 11 p.m. on Friday to 11 a.m. on Saturday.

The traffic police blocked Gurunanak Road from the early hours of the day for free movement of fire tenders and trouble-free fire fighting operation.

A few security personnel who were on night duty found thick fumes emanating from the ground floor of the two-storey building located next to Silver Spoon Restaurant, around 10.40 p.m. on Friday. They alerted the fire service personnel. Two fire-tenders were pressed into service initially, but subsequently the number had to be increased to 12 when the officials found that it was a major fire. After breaking open the shutters of the godown, the firemen immediately rescued a three-member family residing on the second floor of the building.

Large stock

The large stock spread over the floor made it impossible for the ill-equipped firemen to put out the fire immediately. Braving the thick fume and foul smell that emanated from the burning tyres, firemen worked continuously for 12 hours and managed to extinguish the fire completely. “Fire began from the rear side of the building. The reason is yet to be established,” said A. Sekhar, a fire officer on duty. He said availability of water at nearest points had made their job a little easier.

Venkateswarlu, one of the representatives of the firm, said that new stock arrived on Friday evening and was ready to be dispatched to different showrooms in all coastal districts. He suspected that an electric short-circuit could be the reason for the fire. District Fire Officer G. Venkata Narayana Rao said it would take some more time to establish the cause of fire. The police registered a case and are investigating into it.


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in ANDHRA PRADESH

Police produce evangelist Mondithoka Sudhir before the media in Tirupati on Thursday.— Photo: K.V. Poornachandra Kumar

Evangelist Sudhir arrested, admits to offence

He was picked up from his house in Nuzvid »