“The local people here said they had not witnessed such a calamity in the last 10 years. Police said roads to Yamunotri will be repaired by Wednesday morning but the ones to Gangotri will take time. Presently, they have stopped pilgrims from heading further and are evacuating those stranded at different places. They said a final decision on allowing pilgrims on the trip will be taken depending on the situation,” says Nageswara Rao, an advocate from Nellore.

“We reached Uttarkashi on June 15 midnight. It was raining heavily leading to landslides. We had to go to Yamunotri but were stranded at Barkot village near Uttarkashi.

There was no electricity and life was thrown out of gear. Things have settled now and we are safe,” said 58-year-old Dr. Sudhindra, who went on the trip along with his wife M. Laxmi from Kadapa.

They spoke to this correspondent over phone on Tuesday afternoon from Barkot village.