Two girls were taken seriously ill after eating toffees at G. Koduru in Makavarapalem mandal of the district on Sunday.

The two, Chavvakula Devi, 5, and Uma, 4, were first rushed to the government hospital at Narsipatnam and from there to the King George Hospital here. Their condition is said to be stable now.

According to Kothakota police, the two girls playing in front of their house in the afternoon were given the toffees by an unidentified person selling tethers and the children felt giddy and soon became unconscious.

Another girl present there did not take it.

Kothakota Circle Inspector S. Tirumala Rao said it was not clear whether there was any plan to kidnap them.

The person who had given the toffees reportedly ran away by an auto later.

The shocked girls were also not in a position to give a coherent account of what had happened.

YSRCP leader P. Prasad who was assisting the girls’ parents said he had met District Collector V.Seshdari and urged him all help.

The Collector spoke to the doctors treating the girls.