The Principal Special Court for CBI Cases on Thursday told the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to submit a memo before it on the status of investigation in the disproportionate assets case against Kadapa Member of Parliament Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy and others when seeking extension of remand of the accused next time.
The observation was made by Judge U. Durgaprasada Rao when G. Ashok Reddy, the counsel for Mr. Jaganmohan Reddy, submitted to the court that the CBI was violating the rights of his client under Article 21 of the Constitution as he was being subjected to judicial custody for more than eight months now.
The submission was made during the extension of judicial remand of the accused till February 27.
The CBI had not been informing the court about progress made in the investigation since it had filed the fourth charge-sheet on August 13 last, the counsel said.
Though the Supreme Court did not specify any time-frame for completion of investigation, it did not mean that his client should be confined to jail indefinitely, he said.
‘Probe may take long’
Deputy Legal Advisor to the CBI B. Ravindranath said investigation into a case of this nature could take very long.
The probe had been smooth so far as the prime and other accused were in judicial custody and the witnesses were coming forward voluntarily without any fear to depose before the CBI. It would get difficult if the accused was released on bail, he noted.
He informed the court that the CBI would file a final charge sheet in seven aspects of Jagan assets case-- Sandur Power, Bharati/Raghuram Cements, Dalmia Cements, India Cements, Kolkata-based suitcase companies, Lepakshi Knowledge Hub project and Indu Projects, investigation into which was continuing.
The judge said the matter of framing of charges would be taken up on February 27 in the presence of the accused.