Victoria Memorial Home was originally built on a 75-acre piece of land over 100 years ago in memory of Queen Victoria. Initially named ‘Victoria Memorial Home for the Orphans’, the premises was renamed as ‘Victoria Memorial Home and Industrial School’ in 1953 following a suggestion by Jawaharlal Nehru. Now, the home houses school and hostel facilities for underprivileged children, with the Social Welfare Minister as Trust chairman.
The sprawling stretch initially encompassed the land where the present Kothapet Rythu Bazar and adjacent Babu Jagjivanram Bhavan stood, both now situated on the other side of NH-9. After the real estate boom, there have been multiple attempts, sometimes by influential people, to usurp the land.