High-level technical team inspects second summer storage tank

print   ·   T  T  
MAKING ASSESSMENT: Members of a technical team inspecting damages to the second summer storage tank at Ongole on Tuesday.
MAKING ASSESSMENT: Members of a technical team inspecting damages to the second summer storage tank at Ongole on Tuesday.

Special Correspondent

Cracks in bund normal and can be repaired in 15 days, say its members

ONGOLE: A high-level technical team inspected the second summer storage tank here on Tuesday and informed the municipality that the cracks developed in the tankbund were normal and they could be repaired within 15 days.

Municipal Chairman Bapatla Hanumantha Rao and Commissioner Challa Anuradha, however, made it clear to the Public Health Department that it should maintain the tank for two more years and hand over the same to the municipality in proper condition.

Ongole municipality constructed the second tank at a cost of Rs. 14 crores to augment its storage capacity to meet the growing needs of the town. The Public Health Department supervised the construction. Chief Minister Y.S Rajasekhara Reddy inaugurated the tank when he came for the Rajiv Pallebata programme last year.

Bund develops cracks

The municipality filled the tank to its full reservoir level last year. But it found to its chagrin that the revetment sank and the bund developed cracks at 16 places while the water was drawn from the tank.

Following its representation, a three-member team headed by Engineer-in-Chief (Public Health), Chandrasekhar and engineers from Central Designs Organisation visited the tank. The team felt that the tank suffered only minor damages and advised the municipality to take over the tank maintenance.

But Mr. Hanumantha Rao and Ms. Anuradha expressed their reservations and wanted the Public Health Department to maintain the tank at least for two fillings before handing it over to the municipality.

Municipal officials went to the railway station and received the team members. The team members asked the Commissioner and Chairman to come at 9 a.m. to inspect the tank. But they changed their mind later and went to the tank by 7 a.m. itself without the municipal officials.

Mr. Hanumantha Rao and Ms. Anuradha met the team members later in the hotel and expressed their reservations about tank safety.



Recent Article in ANDHRA PRADESH

Police, Maoists exchange fire for the second day

Police and Maoists exchanged fire for the second consecutive day in Visakha Agency on Thursday.Five Maoists were sighted, thre... »