Heart-rending scenes were witnessed here when six-year-old Songa Sravanti died even while doctors of Dr Pinnamaneni-Siddhartha Medical College Hospital were treating her.

She consumed puri and curry on Tuesday morning at an eatery in Mirjapuram in the district along with her father Jaya Raju, 30, who was still battling for life in the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital. Sravanti's grandmother served her breakfast at the village in Nuzvid mandal, but a few minutes later she collapsed twitching and frothing from the mouth. Others who ate puri also developed similar symptoms and collapsed. Her father, who had gone for work immediately after breakfast, fell unconscious on the road and had to be rushed to the hospital.

Ten persons with similar symptoms after taking food from the eatery were rushed to the Pinnamaneni Hospital for treatment. Mirjapuram Sarpanch Danduboina Niranjana Rao told The Hindu that in the panic some of the sick were rushed to Nuzvid and the others to Hanuman Junction.

The hospital authorities said that other than Jaya Raju, who was in the ICU, the condition of Visampalli Rama Raju, 13, Devarapalli Neerikshana Rao, 12, Kalapala Sunny, 8, and Chodagiri Vamsi, 12, was ‘serious', requiring full attention for next 24 hours. “I sent my son to my brother's place for the holidays and they all came out to have breakfast and see what has happened,” said Chodagiri Jeevamani mother of Vamsi. Four others Vissampalli Anamma, Kavuri Joji Babu, Katuri Ravindra and A. Ramesh, who where also brought here for treatment were out of danger.