The government residential quarters in A, B and C Camps in the city, which were part of the legacy of the Andhra capital, will soon undergo a rapid change.
A high-level meeting headed by District Collector Ramsankar Naik and District Revenue Officer Suryaprakash decided to bring into the fold the affairs of the quarters since 33 of them were under illegal occupation.
The administration appears to have decided to drop the proposal to pull down all quarters and replace with multi-story residential buildings considering the opposition from the employees unions.
The quarters were constructed between 1953 and 1956 when Andhra capital was located at Kurnool to accommodate officers and staff. After the capital was shifted to Hyderabad, the quarters were allocated to government staff. Most of the buildings were unfit for occupation in the absence of repairs for a long time.
According to initial survey, out of the total 1009 quarters, 778 were occupied by staff, 57 by retired employees and 33 by illegal occupants. Sixty-three collapsed and 61 required large-scale repairs.
Rajiv Swagruha Corporation came up with a proposal to construct multi-storied residential buildings under joint development programme.
However, the employees associations opposed the proposal bitterly.
In view of the mood of the employees unions, the administration decided to retain the quarters but clear them of illegal occupants immediately and serve notices on others who prolonged their stay. Retired employees who were allowed to stay three months after retirement would be asked to pay the rent for the extra period and vacate at the latest convenient time.
The quarters, in dilapidated condition, would be pulled down and new multi-storied buildings would be put up for use by government staff. Multi-departmental teams were constituted to undertake enumeration of occupants.