Over 50 workers were taken ill after they were exposed to gas which leaked from a factory of Star Agro Marine Exports Ltd at Davispeta in Indukuripeta mandal in Nellore district on Wednesday at 10 a.m. Several of them were immediately rushed to various hospitals in Nellore. The authorities said that there was no danger to the life of the injured.
Those who stood nearer to the leakage were badly affected.
Reports said the total number of affected persons could be 150 with most of them having escaped with minimal exposure to the gas. The affected persons were admitted to the DSR Government District Hospital, Ramachandra Reddy Hospital and Narayana Hospital in Nellore. The mishap took place when the ammonia gas, a cooling agent, spread in the plant following a leakage either in the supply pipes or cylinders used in the plant.