Visakhapatnam metropolitan magistrate records statement

The Rayagada gang-rape victim, who is battling for life in a private hospital in Visakhapatnam after self-immolation attempt, is now gained mental strength to identify all the four persons involved in the incident.

On Friday, at the request of the Rayagada district police, Visakhapatnam metropolitan magistrate recorded statement of the victim in the hospital. A team of police officials, lead by inspector in charge of the Rayagada town police station Prashant Bhupati, were in Visakhapatnam to collect the statement of the victim.

Speaking to The Hindu over phone from Visakhapatnam, Mr. Bhupati said although the condition of the girl was still critical yet she had recovered to some extent. “Now she gained mental strength and the welcome news is that she wants to live and see the culprits punished,” Mr. Bhupati said.

The police team from Rayagada also took photographs of the four accused persons for identification by the victim. The victim could identify the culprits which were jumbled with the photographs of some other persons. She, during her statement to the magistrate, also described the acts of each of these accused. “This showed the courage the girl mustered during the past few days,” Mr. Bhupati said.

CBI probe demanded

Meanwhile, parents of some of the arrested accused persons called up a press meet in Rayagada to claim that their children were innocent. They demanded CBI inquiry into the incident. When contacted, Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) of Rayagada, V.R. Rao, disclaimed their contention. Mr. Rao said investigation as well as the statement by the victim had proved the involvement of all the four accused in the gang-rape case.

The orphan minor girl, who lives with her grandparents, was allegedly gang-raped on January 2 in Anjiapeta area of Rayagada town. To escape social stigma she had not informed about it to anyone and attempted self-immolation on January 3. She was admitted to a hospital in Rayagada in unconscious state.