Four of a family suffered burns following an explosion in their house while one of them was refilling cooking gas in small cylinders for illegal sale at Chilukanagar in Uppal on Saturday.

While the condition of Zaheera Bee, 55, was critical having suffered 50 per cent burns, her husband, Abdul Gaffar, 60, son, Qader, 30, and daughter-in-law, Fauzia, 25, too sustained burns. All of them were admitted to Gandhi Hospital. Qader was transferring cooking gas from a larger cylinder to smaller ones when the explosion occurred apparently after the gas leaked, the Uppal Sub-Inspector, B. Praveen Kumar, said. The explosion blew the tin sheet roof of their house. As flames engulfed the house, he and his family members suffered burns. Qader was earlier arrested on charge of illegal sale of gas cylinders. He used to procure LPG cylinders , refill the gas in small cylinders and sell them . “After coming out on bail, he started refilling small cylinders at home,” the SI said.