Forty students of the Government Post-Graduate College of Science in Saifabad took ill on Sunday after having supper in the hostel the previous night, the authorities said. They were admitted to the Fever Hospital in Nallakunta.
While some of them were discharged after treatment on Monday morning, 15 students were still being treated in the hospital. The Osmania University Vice-Chancellor, Satyanarayana, called on the students at the hospital. Assuring action against the persons responsible for the food poisoning, the V-C said that a committee would be constituted to inquire into the incident.
Over 200 students of the college reside in the hostel. Some of the hostel boarders, who had supper in the hostel on Saturday night, complained of abdominal pain and giddiness on Sunday morning. They were rushed to the Fever Hospital.
The students complained that unhygienic practices in the kitchen resulted in the food poisoning. They charged that the hostel authorities failed to respond to their complaints and didn't act swiftly when they reported the food poisoning. The Saifabad police said that they haven't received any complaint about the food poisoning incident in the college.