Staff Reporter

HYDERABAD: A major fire that broke out in a railway workshop at Lalapet on Saturday afternoon triggered panic among residents. However, no casualties were reported.

Though officials of Fire Department were yet to ascertain exact reasons, senior officials suspect that a burnt cigarette butt thrown by a casual smoker on scrap material could have originated the fire. Fire-fighters had to battle for almost five hours to put off the flames. Five fire tenders were pressed into service to carry out the fire-fighting operation. Fire-fighters said goods used in wagons were dumped in the workshop without taking necessary fire safety measures. District Fire Officer P. Deendayal said railway officials were not responding even after requesting them to take safety measures to avert these incidents.