Most of the sheds had empty plastic containers
In a devastating fire that broke out in the Agricultural Market Yard here on the Tirupati-Tiruchanur Road, in all twelve sheds comprising four mini-sheds were completely gutted. Though the cause of the accident was not immediately known, the fire which broke-out around 11 a.m. in one of the sheds, soon engulfed the entire yard sending fire leaping to the sky even as thick columns of smoke covered the entire area.
As most of the sheds reportedly were stacked with empty plastic containers used for loading and unloading material, the intensity and the spread of the fire was huge which eventually made two fire tenders including one from Puttur fight the fire and bring the inferno under control.
District Fire Officer, G. Swamy along with other staff members reached the venue and supervised the fire fighting operations.
Meanwhile the District Minister, Galla Arunakumari under whose Chandragiri constituency comes the market yard, has in a statement expressed shock over the accident and promised to visit the site on Friday to discuss the relief and rehabilitation measures.