Printing machines, newsprint worth Rs. 1 crore destroyed
Electrical short circuit allegedly caused fire
Major chunk of the paper rolls saved
HYDERABAD: A minor fire in the building housing Prajashakti daily at RTC cross roads on Sunday morning created panic among the residents of the area.
Though there was no loss of life, printing machines and newsprint worth over Rs. 1 crore were gutted in the fire that was reportedly caused by an electrical short circuit at around 8.30 a.m.
Four fire tenders reached the spot in time and prevented the fire from spreading to other blocks including the M.B. Bhavan, the CPI (M) State headquarters, which was abutting the building.
The incident took place when the workers were unloading fresh stock of paper rolls. Watchman, Yadagiri, and others who spotted the flames, tried to put them out. However, as the fire started engulfing the premises, they alerted the building staff who in turn informed the Fire Control Station.
A major chunk of the paper rolls were saved from the fire as the alert staff led by CPI (M) State secretary B.V. Raghavulu swiftly moved them out.