Staff Reporter

HYDERABAD: A major fire that broke out in a commercial complex at Habsiguda on Monday morning triggered panic among local residents and shopkeepers. Home appliances stored in the cellar were damaged in the incident.

Though the exact reasons for the accident were yet to be ascertained, officials of Andhra Pradesh Fire and Emergency Services Department said electrical short-circuit could be one of the reasons. Four fire tenders from Moula Ali, Malkajgiri, Secunderabad and Malakpet rushed to the spot after receiving a call around 7.30 a.m. and extinguished the flames within four hours.

Fire-fighters said necessary steps were taken to prevent flames from spreading to other floors in the four-storied building. Efforts were on to collect more details from the shop owner for storing appliances in the cellar in violation of norms, they said.