Staff Reporter

HYDERABAD: Property worth Rs. 2 lakhs was gutted when fire broke out on the second floor of the Road Transport Authority office at Khairatabad in the early hours of Saturday. Reasons behind the fire accident were not yet known but the Punjagutta police suspect that heavy load on air-conditioning machine might have led to short circuit.

The office security guard Pandu noticed smoke emanating from the second floor around 2.30 a.m. and alerted the higher-ups and fire service department. Firemen worked for an hour to douse the flames.

The transport department officials said the customers, who applied for registration of vehicles and driving licenses, need not worry since the data was already stored in the computers. "We'll clear all such applications by Monday," they said.