In urban areas, the response time was 12.4 minutes
The services of GVK EMRI 108 free ambulances have been extended to all the 50 mandals in Krishna district, and 65,788 patients have benefited from these services in the past one year. As of now 33 free ambulances were in position at different locations to meet the emergency medical needs of the people during accidents or other ailments, its Regional Manager M. Sudhakar has said.
At a press conference here on Tuesday, the representatives of the Emergency Management and Research Institute said that 72 per cent of the patients had been shifted to the Government hospitals with the help of 108 services and the remaining 28 per cent patients were dropped at private nursing homes and corporate hospitals at the request of their relatives or at the suggestion of doctors, officials after initial medical attention.
The EMRI regional manager and District Manager P.S. Prasada Raju said that several complaints reached them that the staff on the ambulances shifted the patients to the specific private hospitals against their will.
Immediate action was being taken in such instances and some emergency medical technicians were removed from service after they were found guilty of these charges, they added. Mr. Sudhakar said that the people were making most use of 108 services in times of accidents, pregnancy related medical attention, acute abdominal pain, suicide and poisoning cases, or respiratory illnesses.
Considering the need for providing good emergency care, a new facility had been introduced to attend to the calls for shifting pregnant women from the 7th month of pregnancy to hospital through 108 services. The facility was added following several cases of such pregnant women facing difficulties due to improper transportation.
The stipulated minimum response time for the 108 service to reach the spot was 15 minutes in urban areas while presently they were able to deliver this service in just 12.4 minutes. In rural areas, the EMRI ambulance was reaching the spot in 19.34 minutes as against the minimum stipulated response time of 25 minutes, they observed.
Evenings and nights on Saturdays continued to be hectic time for EMRI 108 services, as most calls were being received with a request to attend to accident victims.
Most calls are being received with a request to attend to accident victims Free ambulances services have been extended to all the 50 mandals in the district
Most calls are being received with a request to attend to accident victims
Free ambulances services have been extended to all the 50 mandals in the district