A major fire accident was averted when the locals alerted the fire personnel and the flames were brought under control at the Vijaya Electrical Equipment Shop in Samarangam Chowk in One Town. Fire tenders were immediately pressed into service and the fire was put out within four hours.
The electrical shop was located on the ground floor of a four-storeyed building, while the top three floors were being used as residential premises. Nobody was injured in the mishap, but electrical equipment, furniture and other property was reduced to ashes.
Fire officials said that there was no major damage to the building as a whole.
While the initial cause of the fire was reported to be sparks from Diwali fireworks, the fire personnel found that there was no scope for that and the trigger might be a short circuit within the premises. Because of the congested nature of the buildings and the area, it was being difficult for the fire personnel to ascertain the cause and also to put down the flames effectively.
The area has to be decongested if there is to be fire safety apart from traffic and other considerations, said divisional fire officer S.V. Chowdary.
The fire, which broke out around 8.30 p.m. on Wednesday, was brought under control around 12 p.m. and major damage to the building was averted with the help of timely action. The onlookers immediately passed on the information to the fire control room about the fire accident, which helped in avoiding a major mishap.
Wholesale traders were still continuing their godowns and shops in One Town despite the authorities making several pleas to move the outskirts. Gollapudi wholesale traders' complex was set up to move the traders there but the response was not good. Most wholesalers were continuing their business within One Town area.
The wholesale electrical shop contained domestic electrical equipment like switch boards and wires.