My son is in the U.S. on an H-1B visa that expires in March 2013. He has applied for an extension and it is currently in process. Can I apply for a visitor visa?

Narayan Reddy Gangula

Yes, you can apply for a B1/B2 visa. You don’t need your son as a sponsor for a tourist visa; every applicant needs to qualify individually, based on their situation in India. Please visit our website for more information about B1/B2 visas.

My husband has an L1 visa and will be in the U.S. for about four months. Can I accompany him on a visitor visa (I have a valid multiple entry B2 visa) or do I need to apply for an L2 visa?


If you are planning only a short tourist trip, then you can travel on your current visa until it expires. However, it is always the decision of an immigration officer at the Port of Entry as to whether you are authorised entry into the U.S. on your current visa. If you are planning to stay more long-term in the U.S. or to travel multiple times within a short time period, then it may be better to apply for the L2 visa.

I am an Indian citizen who is presently in Australia on a visit. I received admission into a MBA program in the U.S. Can I apply for a student visa in Australia?


You may apply at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the world, but we recommend applying in the country where you reside, as the consular officers there are better able to evaluate your eligibility for the visa.

My wife and I have a ten-year visitor visa which is valid up to August 2013. We wish to renew our visas, as if there is an emergency we would like to travel without any delay. Can we apply for renewal before our current visas expire?

Y. Markandeyulu

Yes, you may apply for new visas before your old visas expire. Please visit for more information. Please review the information about the Interview Waiver Program on this website– you may not even need to come to the Consulate General for an interview!

We are Australian citizens with dual citizenship and are currently in India. Can we register online through ESTA and travel to the U.S. from India on the visa waiver program?


Australia is part of the U.S. Visa Waiver Program (VWP), so if you are planning a business or pleasure trip to the U.S. that meets the requirements of VWP travel, you may travel to the U.S.You need to register through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization before you travel. For more information about ESTA, please visit


One can apply for visa at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the world, but applying in the country where he/she resides is recommended