Staff Reporter

NELLORE: The Bollineni Eye Hospital and Research Centre, Nellore, began performing tests and eye operations from Friday.

With the patients complaining that they lost vision partially due to infection in the operated eyes in October last year, the government directed the hospital management to stop the surgeries.

The district, State and Central teams which probed into the incident confirmed that there was no negligence of the paramedical staff or the doctors who performed the surgeries and submitted the same to the government.

About 23 patients became partially blind (lost one eye) due to infection which was caused by contamination of ‘ringer lactate' solution used during the operations, said the team members.

Speaking to The Hindu, Bollineni Eye Hospital Managing Director Dr. N. Sai Murali said the hospital which started in 2003 in Nellore city performed more than 50,000 surgeries, including some rare operations. The eye hospital management will organise free retina and laser tests for diabetes patients up to March 15. Concessions would be given to the patients for some tests, said Dr. Murali and appealed to the public to avail the facility.