Special Correspondent

Legal tussle between bachelor and diploma holders delays postings

HYDERABAD: A meeting of the Cabinet sub-committee on Friday will hold the key to resolving the ticklish issue of giving postings, which are long overdue, to qualified candidates of District Selection Committee (DSC) 2008 examination.

Over 30,000 candidates who were declared qualified in the Secondary Grade Teachers (SGTs) stream after the completion of the process for the DSC – 2008 test in July last year have been on tenterhooks since as they could not get postings due to court cases and a major flaw in the selection.

Apart from several demonstrations, the candidates have knocked at several doors, including Leader of Opposition N. Chandrababu Naidu, to get their elusive jobs.

The Cabinet sub-committee comprising Secondary Education Minister D. Manikya Varaprasad and three other Ministers – Botcha Satyanarayana, N. Raghuveera Reddy and M. Mukesh Goud – will meet on Friday to take a close look at the issue.

The committee had met only once before.

A senior school education official told The Hindu that the government has already decided to await the verdict of the Supreme Court which is seized of the tussle between bachelor and diploma holders in the contention for SGT posts. B.Ed and D.Ed candidates have taken their cases from the AP Administrative Tribunal to the Supreme Court after the government issued an order that earmarked 30 per cent of posts exclusively to diploma holders and the remaining 70 per cent to both bachelor and diploma holders.

Incidentally, the order was issued without amending the original notification where both B.Ed and D.Ed candidates were permitted to run for SGT posts while only B.Ed candidates were eligible for school assistant posts.

The diploma holders contested the order claiming stake to cent per cent SGT posts which was opposed by the B.Eds. Officials said the situation could not have been complex if the notification was amended in the wake of the order.

On the other hand, the government was itself to blame after notifying 30,571 posts while there were only about 18,000 vacancies.