Solid waste management is a burning issue for GVMC. But burning of garbage has turned out to be another serious issue. It is a problem often encountered by residents and nobody has the time to complain. And one is not sure whether such complaints will really result in some relief.
In several localities, workers heap up the garbage from the street and light it up. Sometimes the burning causes inconvenience to residents and passers-by. People already facing problems with dust and vehicular pollution will have to put up with this unhealthy practice as well.
On Tuesday, sheets of thermal insulation material thrown out were burnt at Balayya Sastry layout on a busy road. The burning was resorted to though a dumper bin was located close by. Thick smoke rose high with the sheets burning fast. A GVMC employee who happened to come by pulled up the worker for setting the sheets on fire.
The worker’s explanation was that the dumper bin was full and so he burnt the sheets. GVMC Chief Medical Officer (Health) D. Abbulu says burning of garbage is strictly prohibited. Sometime back workers were educated by holding a big gathering at the Swarna Bharati Indoor Stadium that garbage should not be burnt. Action was taken against some workers but unions intervened on their behalf. In fact, if the burnt garbage contains plastic it’s even more dangerous.
Dr. Abbulu said instruction would be passed on to sanitary inspectors ward-wise to ensure that burning would not take place.