Staff Reporter

HYDERABAD: Two flats got damaged extensively but fortunately none was injured in an explosion following cooking gas leakage in an apartment building on Road No. 12, Banjara Hills on Wednesday morning.

The liquefied petroleum gas from a cylinder leaked in the kitchen of the flat belonging to businessman, Desai, on the second floor of the building after the pipe connecting it to the stove got cut. The LPG got accumulated in the kitchen, door and windows of which were kept closed.

“The gas caught fire resulting in an explosion blowing up walls and cupboards of the hall in Mr. Desai’s flat,” Banjara Hills Inspector, Mohd. Iqbal Siddiqui, told reporters. The police suspect that some spark in the electrical wire might have ignited the gas. The office of a chartered accountant Suneel in the adjacent flat also got severely damaged in the blast.

Mr. Suneel was not in the office while Mr. Desai, his wife and two wards were in their bedrooms when the explosion occurred.

Furniture, household articles and other items in the two flats were damaged.