Staff Reporter

Minister asks farmers to raise alternative crops in dry conditions

  • Plea to raise three lakh bio-diesel plants in next three years
  • Official teams to gauge rainfall deficiency on August 26

    KADAPA: The district has been sanctioned crop insurance to the tune of Rs. 157 crores and some mandals which have not been benefited by crop insurance have been granted Rs. 6.50 crores as input subsidy, according to Minister for Agriculture N. Raghuveera Reddy.

    The Minister inspected groundnut fields in Balaiahgaripalle in Pendlimarry mandal, V. Kothapalle and K.K. Kottala in Vemula mandal. The Minister called upon farmers to raise alternative crops in rainfall-deficient conditions.

    Bio-diesel plants

    Rayalaseema districts received scanty rainfall, he said and promised Government aid. He wanted three lakh bio-diesel plants raised in the district in next three years. Collector M.T. Krishna Babu would send official teams on August 26 to gauge rainfall deficiency, he said.

    Mr. Reddy suggested deepening of wells and supply of water by tankers for bio-diesel plantations in areas facing water scarcity. Bio-diesel plants would be supplied on 60 per cent subsidy and bank linkage would be provided for the remaining 40 per cent of funds, he said.

    Earlier, farmers of the mandals sought grant of pension to ryots crossing 60 years of age.