P. Sujatha Varma

Students rely mostly on online teaching

Rural students prove their aptitude to meet challenges

There is big demand among students who cleared SSCE

VIJAYAWADA: Drifting away from the conventional mode of teaching wherein a teacher’s lecture is followed by the use of blackboard that does most of the talking rather than the educator, ‘learning by doing’ is the mantra followed here. And so the mad race for a seat in the institute is an understandable situation.

The classroom is occupied by a meritorious set of students who rely mostly on online teaching. “The mentors intervene only when a student comes up with a doubt,” says Ibrahim Khan, Director of the International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Nuzvid, one of the three such autonomous institutes functioning under the Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies (RGUKT).

Students coming from rural background have time and again proved their aptitude to learn provided they are given an appropriate platform. Establishment of the RGUKT in 2008 by the State Government to cater to the educational needs of meritorious rural youth provided a ray of hope to the section of learners deprived of facilities their peers enjoy in an urban set-up.

Common syllabus

The three autonomous institutes follow a common syllabus and specialize in teaching and research in Information Technology and other emerging disciplines.

There is a virtual jostle among students who just cleared their SSCE (Secondary School Certificate Exam) or other equivalent board examinations such as CBSE, ICSE, Oriental SSC and NOS for a seat in the institute which can accommodate 2,000 students.

“Of the 2,000 seats, 15 per cent are reserved for State-wide meritorious students while the remaining 85 per cent are for students in the rural sector.

Following claims of ‘eligibility’ the authorities have asked the claimants to apply online. “But strict guidelines may not allow us to accommodate anyone other than those short listed by the Education Department,” Mr. Khan told The Hindu on Wednesday.

In the 85 per cent quota for the rural students, 20 per cent is reserved for private schools, 10 per cent for residential schools and remaining 70 per cent is for Government schools.

The fact that there is no separate entrance examination and admission is strictly based on a student’s performance in the SSC is yet another reason why hordes of students are making a beeline to gain access to the institute. At the end of a six-year course, the student returns home with dual degrees.