K.V.S. Madhav

The plan is part of energy audit programme of water board

  • All 34 installations supply drinking water to every nook and corner of the city
  • Pumping equipment should be replaced with new energy efficient pumps and motors

    HYDERABAD: The Hyderabad Metro Water Supply and Sewerage Board (HMWSSB) has decided to go for a Rs. 40 crore major refurbishment of its 34 old pumping installations in the twin cities as a part of the energy audit programme.

    "All these 34 installations, including seven pumping mains, that supply drinking water to the nook and corner of the city have outlived their age and are operating at a very low efficiency level.

    We need to replace the pumping equipment with new energy efficient pumps and motors at the earliest," HMWSSB managing director K.S. Jawahar Reddy said here on Monday.

    The project would be completed in a year under the JNURM programme with the State Government chipping in with 65 per cent of the costs (Rs. 26 crores) and the Centre the remaining 35 per cent amounting to Rs. 14 crores.

    The water board had commissioned a comprehensive energy audit study to evaluate the operating efficiency of the pumping systems.

    The study zeroed in on the specific energy consumption levels of the installations and identified 47 water-pumping stations where restoration works were required.

    Private consultants Ernst and Young readied a detailed project report.

    "The study looked into factors like power wastage, dip in efficiency levels of the system, impact of age on their functioning and energy loss due to usage and application of energy inefficient systems," Mr. Reddy said.

    Pollution control

    With variation in energy cost availability, the energy audit exercise, he said, was to improve the operating and maintenance practices of the system, optimise energy costs and to ensure pollution control.

    Electricity accounts for a major chunk of expenditure for the water board, which shoulders the colossal task of pumping the Krishna water from Nagarjunasagar to Hyderabad - a height of 400 metres - through a series of pumping stations enroute.

    It costs Rs. 18 per kilolitre of the Krishna water to be ferried to the city and as on date, drawals are to the tune of 90 Million Gallons Per Day and an equal volume will be drawn once the second phase of the project is inaugurated. With mounting power bills, the water board even wrote to the Government seeking subsidy in the huge power costs involved in bringing the Krishna water to the city.