Staff Reporter

HYDERABAD: Abdul Jabbar, who was picked up by the Kerala police in connection with a terrorist module two days ago from Hyderabad, initially tried to mislead interrogators claiming that his name was Anoop.

He also maintained that he converted to Islam recently and had no connection with any terrorist outfit. But during persistent interrogation, Jabbar reportedly admitted that he tried to sidetrack the investigation and he was part of a five-member module to undergo militant training in Pakistan, police sources said. While other four members of the module were killed in firing by the Army, he managed to escape twice from almost certain death. Originally from Kerala, Jabbar liked the ideology of Abdul Nassar Madani, radical Muslim leader and founder of Islamic Sevak Sangh (ISS) and People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Kerala. After Madani’s arrest in 1998, the activities of PDP almost stopped and Jabbar shifted to Hyderabad. A good number of Muslim youths from Kerala used to come to Hyderabad and attend various programmes - religious and educational - conducted by Noorisha Trust at Bandlaguda. Omar Haji, one such aspirant attending a course at the madrasa being managed by the trust differed with the ideology. A radical religious thinker, Haji had his own ideas about ‘jihad’ and wanted to spearhead a serious religious movement, it is learnt. It was Haji who formed a five-member module comprising Jabbar, Abdul Faiz, Mohammed Yasir, Mohammed Faiz and Abdul Rahim, all from Kerala.

On September 11, the squad left for Delhi where one Ayub, also from Kerala, received them. From there, they were taken to Jammu, Srinagar and finally to a camp in a village close to the Indo-Pak border. There, a Pakistani, Moosa, reportedly trained them in the basics of militant operations.

“Moosa wanted to evacuate the place suspecting that the Army might attack them based on the inputs given by the Kashmir youth. “But the guide from Pakistan, who was supposed to help them cross the border, didn’t turn up and hence they stayed back in the camp,” sources explained.

The Army attacked the camp killing Faiz and Yasir in the early hours of October 4.