Though direct charges were made against RTA staff, there seems to be no progress in the case, writes Marri Ramu

Any person -- a civilian or a government employee -- abetting an accused to commit a crime must be brought to book. There are no exceptions to this provision of law.

But is this rule being followed in all cases? The question crops up as no arrests were made in the recently busted ‘inter-State auto-mobile scam’ even after the Commissioner’s Task Force going on record that some local Road Transport Authorities at Hyderabad knowingly helped the accused.

The TF officials maintained that some staff members of the Hyderabad RTA helped the prime accused in the scam to re-register and transfer other State vehicles ignoring the mandatory production and inspection of vehicles. It is more than 10 days since they officially announced the complicity of the RTA staff but no progress is reported in the case.

Interestingly, the police of both Cyberabad and Hyderabad raised suspicions over the ‘possible collusion’ of staff members of the RTA in getting stolen vehicles registered in two cases. Investigators may find excuses of ‘not finding evidence’ in those two cases. But in the latest scam, the TF officials made direct charges against the RTA officials.

If it is so, why the TF officials did not arrest the persons concerned? The offenders could not give specific names of the employees and claimed that they used to manage ‘whoever was on duty on that particular day’, contended the TF authorities who handed over the case to Punjagutta police for further investigation.

The reported confession of the offenders hints of an organised racket involving government employees having serious ramifications. But the past record of investigation into many such sensational cases leaves a lot to be desired.

Few years ago, racket of gun licences forging signatures and seals of officials of other States was unearthed.

Some of these forged gun licences were renewed by Ranga Reddy district and Home Department authorities.

Years have passed but the city police could not fix up responsibility as to how fake licences were renewed. Equally shoddily investigated case is that of a kidney racket busted again by Task Force officials four years ago.

Though doubts of some doctors and hospitals being behind it were raised, nothing came to fore in the subsequent probe.

Will facts come to light at least in the present case, in which the TF officials -- working directly under the City Police Commissioner -- made some serious charges.