Staff Reporter

HYDERABAD: An attempt to remove a petty coat that fell on high tension wires using an aluminium rod proved fatal for an engineering student Shagufta Akhani at Muradnagar on Thursday.

While 18-year-old Akhani died on the spot, her mother Laikha, sister Shahistha and younger brother Sharjeel sustained serious burns trying to rescue her. Her injured family members were admitted to DRDL Apollo Hospital. Akhani’s family lives on the second floor of Zardaj Enclave of Muradnagar at Mehdipatnam. Around 2 p.m., a tenant requested Akhani’s help to take out a garment that fell on the high tension wires, the Asifnagar Inspector Jameeluddin said.

Akhani tried to remove it using an aluminium rod. As the rod came in contact with the high tension wires, she suffered serious shock and shouted for help. Alerted by her cries, her family rushed out and tried in vain to save her and they too suffered shock.

A neighbour Shakir later managed to drag them out. By then, Akhani got electrocuted. She is a first year student of Muffakamjah College.