Special Correspondent

ANU examinations put off indefinitely

Macherla-Guntur passenger train stopped at Macherla and another train at Piduguralla

Relay hunger strike started by members of Joint Action Committee

GUNTUR: Agitation seeking withdrawal of proposal to divide the State continued in Guntur district on the second day with students coming out in large numbers on the Acharya Nagarjuna University campus and in Guntur city on Saturday to show their solidarity with United Andhra Pradesh concept.

The bandh on the second day was peaceful except for stopping of the Macherla-Guntur passenger train at Macherla and another train at Piduguralla. All the Zilla Parishad members boycotted the Standing Committee meetings and due to lack of quorum the CEO Jaiprakash Narayan had to put off them.

Acharya Nagarjuna University saw much of the activity with students, teaching and non-teaching staff stopping traffic on the national Highway for about an hour from 11 a.m. The students took a procession of effigy of Home Minister P. Chidambaram and hung it from the Main Gate of the campus for about half an hour beating it with sticks and chappals. They burnt the effigy demanding continuing the united Andhra Pradesh.

On the campusVice-Chancellor Y.R. Haragopal Reddy on Saturday announced to putting off of all the examinations indefinitely that were scheduled from Monday. Relay hunger strike was also started by members of Joint Action Committee for Samaikhya Andhra Samrakshana, with a threat to begin indefinite fast from Monday. A tent was pitched alongside the Acharya Nagarjuna statue at the main gate at which defeated TDP candidate Sravan Kumar sat along with Officer on Special Duty N. Samuyelu and Z. Vishnuvardhan. In Guntur Telugu Desam Party took the mantle of agitation with its Telugu Yuvatha leader Kommineni Sambasiva Rao began indefinite fast on Saturday at Potti Sriramulu statue at Hindu College Junction after its district leaders took out a rally in the city. Students in large numbers came out onto the streets boycotting classes and took out a `funeral procession’ of KCR and burnt it at Brundavan Garden centre.

Educational institutions, shops and establishments remained voluntarily closed. Some of the shops opened in the evening, but APSRTC buses did not ply.